GEORGETOWN, Texas - Third-seeded Southwestern registered a goal in each half and held sixth-seeded Austin College scoreless to earn a 2-0 victory in Friday's second quarterfinal of the SCAC Men's Soccer Championship. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview | Tournament Stats | Quarterfinal Photo Album
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jake Swonke scored his sixth goal of the season off an assist from Wil Mekelburg in the 28th minute to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead going into half.
- Mekelburg registered the insurance goal in the 83rd minute, his first goal of the year, assisted by Andrew Hernandez
- Austin College outshot Southwestern, 14-13, including 12-6 in the second half.
- Austin College had a chance to cut the Southwestern lead to one in the final minutes but Pirates' goalkeeper Alan Carr denied Philip Le on a penalty kick in the 86th minute
- Southwestern held a 5-0 advantage in corner kicks
- Carr's 10 saves on the afternoon were a season-high
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jake Swonke: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Wil Mekelburg: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Andrew Hernandez: 1 assist, 2 shots
- Alan Carr: 10 saves
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Juan Ramirez: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
- Chase Gaskill: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Joseph Khalaf: 2 saves, 2 goals allowed
- The victory advances the Southwestern University men to the SCAC semifinals for the second consecutive year and sixth time in program history.
- Southwestern improves to 6-7-1 all-time in SCAC Tournament history
- Austin College ends its season with a 7-6-3 overall record and falls short of the SCAC Tournament semifinals for the first time since 2015.
By defeating Austin College, Southwestern University (11-5-2) will face second-seeded Colorado College in tomorrow's second semifinal at 1:30 CST. The Pirates topped the CC Tigers in both meetings during the regular season, most recently 3-2 in overtime back on October 14th. This will be the sixth meeting between the two programs in SCAC Tournament history with Southwestern holding a 3-1-1 edge, most recently defeating Colorado College, 1-0, in last year’s quarterfinals.