CLEBURNE, Texas - Seconded-seeded Trinity bashed a three-run home run in the first inning and jumped out to a 7-2 lead only to hold on to a 7-6 victory over fourth-seeded Centenary in opening day action at the 2019 SCAC Baseball Tournament. Official Website l Bracket l Photo Gallery
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity junior Rafe Chaumette homered in the home half of the first inning, his fifth of the season, driving in three runs to give the Tigers an early 3-0 lead.
- Centenary broke through, getting on the board in the third courtesy of an Andrew Russell sacrafice fly to left field, scoring Tyler Erickson.
- The Gents got right back to work following a two hour and twenty-seven minute lighting delay as Cody Crowder on an RBI ground out from Brandon Griffin.
- Trinity responded, scoring a pair of runs in both the fourth and fifth inning as Brannen Caraway, Dalys Binder and Jack Wisniewski all were credited with RBI giving the Tigers a five-run lead after five.
- Centenary got back in the game behind a three-run seventh inning, keyed by a two RBI single up the middle off the bat of Russell, bringing the score to 7-5 after seven.
- Centenary again threated in the ninth, pulling within one, but Trinity closed out the win on a game ending double play.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Rafe Chaumette: 2-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs, 1 HR
- Dalys Binder: 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 run
- Brannen Caraway: 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 run
- Jack Wisniewski: 2-4: 1 RBI
- Jeff Lonnecker: 6.1 IP, 5 R, 2 ER, 4 K, 4 BB
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Andrew Russell: 2-3, 3 RBI, 1 run
- Chris Haggard: 2-4, 1 RBI
- Tyler Erickson: 1-4, 1 run
- Josh McLean: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K
- Trinity has now won 19-straight SCAC Tournament games when scoring at least seven runs and improves to 48-3 all-time in conference tournament action when plating seven or more.
- Centenary has now lost three of its last four SCAC Tournament openers, but has gone on to finish runners-up follwoing both previous opening losses including last year.
- Lonnecker improved to 4-1 on the season.
- Trinity has won seven of its last eight SCAC Tournament openers, and snapped a two game conference tournament losing streak to Centenary with the win.
Trinity advances to take on No. 1-seed Texas Lutheran University tomorrow with first pitch set for noon CT, while Centenary will face No. 4-seed Southwestern University in an elimination game immediately following.