IRVING, Texas -- Southwestern University earned its fifth trip to the SCAC women's volleyball title game in the last six years as the Pirates knocked off ninth-ranked Trinity University, 3-1, Saturday afternoon on the campus of the University of Dallas. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview
Southwestern (18-11) will face top-seeded Colorado College at 12:30 p.m. CT on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams played lights-out in the opening set, with Southwestern squeaking out the 25-23 victory. The Pirates hit .370 while Trinity attacked at a .356 clip. There were 14 ties and seven lead changes during the set.
- The Pirates held on for a 26-24 set two victory, winning the final two points to take the 2-0 lead. No team led by more than three points throughout the set.
- Trinity dominated the third set and took the 25-11 win as Southwestern made 13 attacking errors.
- Southwestern took the fourth set 25-21. The Pirates took the lead at 6-5 and never trailed again.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jamison Duck: 14 kills, 18 digs, 3 service aces, 3 blocks
- Haven Cathey: 10 kills, 2 blocks
- Lauren Crabtree: 10 kills, 2 service aces, 13 digs
- Lizzy Counts: 36 assists, 8 digs
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jade Schoenberger: 10 kills
- Avery Tuggle: 9 kills, 14 digs, 2 blocks
- Madeline McKay: 11 kills, 3 blocks
- The meeting was the 14th between the two SCAC volleyball powerhouses in conference post-season play - the most of any two teams in league history. Southwestern is now 5-9 in those matchups with Saturday's victory over the Tigers being the program's first since the 2015 title game.
- The loss snapped Trinity's string of seven consecutive trips to the SCAC tourament final.
- Sunday's championship game between Colorado College and Southwestern will be the second time the two have met with the SCAC title on the line. The first match-up occured at the 2009 championships with Southwestern taking the 3-1 win.
- Southwestern holds a 5-0 all-time record against Colorado in SCAC tournament play with victories in 2016, 2014, 2013, 2009 and 2008.
Southwestern (18-11) advances to take on its second top-10 nationally-ranked team in as many days. The Pirates will play fourth-ranked Colorado College in tomorrow's championship game, which is scheduled for a 12:30 p.m. CT start time. Trinity (24-6) will take on Dallas in tomorrow's third/fourth place match at 10 a.m.