SHREVEPORT, La. – After spotting Schreiner two runs in the first inning, Dallas scored seven unanswered, all with two outs as the Crusaders earned their first SCAC Tournament victory since 2016 in Saturday's first elimination game. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schreiner got on the board in the bottom half of the first inning as Courtney Bigley collected her second and third RBI of the tournament scoring Alyssa Maki and Gracie Bell.
- The Mountaineers were threating in the fourth inning when Dallas came up with a tremendous double play as Mackenzie Tano gunned down the Schreiner runner from right field trying to tag from third getting out of the jam and keeping the Crusaders in striking distance.
- Dallas finally got on the board in the fifth following a two out RBI double off the bat of Madison Coutts, scoring Bri Torres.
- The Crusaders took the lead in the sixth after Bri Hale came through with a clutch two out, two RBI single to score Mel Savala and Tano to take a one run lead into the seventh.
- Dallas broke the game open in the seventh scoring four insurance runs.
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Bri Torres: 2-4, 1 RBI
- Bri Hale: 1-3: 3 RBI, 1 Run
- Mackenzie Tano: 2-3, 2 Runs
- Mel Savala: 2-4, 2 Runs
- Paige Rasmussen: 7.0 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 RBI
SCHREINER UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Courtney Bigley: 1-3, 2 RBI
- Gracie Bell: 1-4, 1 Run
- Bailey Stoker: 2-3
- This marked the first win for Dallas at the SCAC Tournament since 2016 when the Crusaders knocked off Southwestern.
- Dallas and Schreiner have now met four times in the SCAC Tournament with each program winning twice following today’s results.
- Paige Rasmussen improved to 3-6 on the year after a complete game performance, allowing seven hits and striking out one. Rasmussen also helped herself out at the plate with a key RBI walk in the seventh inning.
The Crusaders improve to 8-23 and will move on to face the winner of Centenary and Trinity later today at 5:30 p.m. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers are eliminated from the tournament and finish the season with an 17-26 mark.