WIDEFIELD, Colo. - The Colorado College women took five of the top 10 spots and earned the program's first cross country title since 2016 as the Tigers defeated two-time defending champion Trinity University Saturday morning at Widick Field on the outskirts of Colorado Springs. Results | Official Website | Facebook Photo Album
Led by a second-place finish by sophomore Emily Dwyer, the Colorado College women totaled 30 points to defeat runner-up and two-time defending champion Trinity by 13 points. Dwyer navigated the Widick Field course in a time of 23:28.3 to earn SCAC Newcomer of the Year honors. Junior teammate Alexia Preston was fifth in a time of 23:47.1, followed by sixth, eighth and ninth place finishes, respectively, from first-year Na'Ama Nevo (24:04.9), first-year Clare Quinn (24:11.0) and senior Claire Tobin (24:24.3).
The title is the fourth overall for the CC women and first since 2016 which was the culmination of a three-ear title run (2014-2015-2016) for head coach Ted Castaneda's women's cross country program.
CC edged out Trinity who finished second with 43 total points led by a pair of runners finishing in the top-five. Senior Brianna Ratliff finished third in a time of 23:30.9 and junior Jordan Juran was fourth in 23:44.2. For the second straight year, University of Dallas finished third overall in the team standings. The Crusaders totaled 103 points at this year's meet, led by individual medalist and SCAC Runner of the Year sophomore Anna Wilgenbusch. Wilgenbusch ran away from the field in a winning time of 22:55.5 - becoming the first individual cross country medalist (man or woman) in school history since the institution joined the SCAC prior to the 2011-12 season.
Rounding out the team standings, Texas Lutheran University was fourth with a score of 116, Southwestern University was fifth with 132, SCAC newcomer University of St. Thomas was sixth with 150 points and Johnson & Wales University was seventh with a score of 165. Austin College and Schreiner did not have enough runners to score.
2019 Women's Cross Country All-Conference Team
1. Anna Wilgenbusch, University of Dallas - 22:55.5
2. Emily Dwyer, Colorado College - 23:28.3
3. Brianna Ratliff, Trinity University - 23:30.9
4. Jordan Juran, Trinity University - 23:44.2
5. Alexia Preston, Colorado College - 23:47.1
6. Na'ama Nevo, Colorado College - 24:04.9
7. Emma Cooper, Southwestern University - 24:07.8
8. Clare Quinn, Colorado College - 24:11.0
9. Claire Tobin, Colorado College - 24:24.3
10. Elaine Kaster, Trinity University - 24:26.1
11. Olive Pertuit, Trinity University - 4:27.0
12. Megan Koch, Colorado College - 24:30.2
13. Kylee Garcia, Texas Lutheran University - 24:36.1
14. Sarah Pokelwaldt, Colorado College - 24:37.8