SEGUIN, Texas -- Southwestern will play for the SCAC Sofball Championship for the first time since 2013 after defeating Trinity 4-2 in Saturday's tournament nightcap on the campus of Texas Lutheran. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview
Southwestern won the conference title in 2013 by winning twice on the final day and the Pirates will have to do that again tomorrow as they face the tournament's last undefeated team, Texas Lutheran, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. CT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern jumped out to a 3-0 lead with a two-run double by Kaitlynn Copher supplying most of the damage.
- Trinity's Katie Castillon was knocked out of the game after giving up five hits and three runs in 0.2 innings.
- With the game at 4-1 after three innings, there was a lightning delay of almost an hour and a half.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Kaitlynn Copher: 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 run, 1 2B
- Celeste Silvas: 2-2, 1 run
- Taylor Curtis: 2-3
- Sydney Scott: 1-3, 1 run
- Lindsey Longuet: 7.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 8 K, 2 BB
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Danielle Ruiz: 1-3, 1 run
- Siera Spurlock: 1-2, 1 run
- Katie Glomb: 5.1 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 2 K
- After finishing in second place for six consecutive years, the Tigers finish third at this year's SCAC championships.
- Longuet improved to 15-6 with the complete game victory.
- Southwestern has won two SCAC softball championships - 2010 and 2013. In both of those tournaments, the Pirates had to win twice on Sunday to take home the crown. They'll have win twice tomorrow against Texas Lutheran if they want to make it 3-for-3.
The Pirates (27-12) square off against Texas Lutheran in the championship game of the SCAC Softball Tournament with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. CT. Southwestern will need to defeat the Bulldogs twice to win its third SCAC title in program history. Trinity ends its season with a record of 17-28.